Performance Outcomes For All Students
At each grade level, every child is expected to meet or exceed proficiency levels as described in the California State Content Standards in all academic areas. The Webster staff has adopted a series of statements that describe in more detail our beliefs about the importance of educating the whole child.
- ACADEMIC COMPETENCY - Each child is expected to meet or exceed the academic standards adopted by the State of California in Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science and Health.
- Expresses ideas in order to communicate effectively through writing and speaking.
- Achieves competency in all mathematics strands, and applies mathematical concepts to everyday life.
- Develops reading skills that will enable the child to decode, comprehend, analyze and enjoy reading.
- Masters concepts in social studies, science and health.
- Uses appropriate resources to gather information in order to understand the world around himself or herself.
- Uses technology to learn, work and communicate more efficiently.
- CRITICAL THINKING AND PROBLEM SOLVING - Students can analyze information, synthesize it into a meaningful form, and apply their academic skills to solve problems in all academic areas.
- Uses academic skills and experiences to solve problems.
- Distinguishes facts, opinions and fantasy.
- Gathers information from various sources.
- Understands, evaluates and utilizes information in a meaningful way.
- Forms and defends justifiable opinions.
- PERSONAL GROWTH AND LIFE SKILLS - Students develop positive personal qualities and values that will help them succeed in school and in life.
- Independent, life-long learner.
- Self-esteem and respect for others.
- Self-discipline and motivation.
- Takes responsibility for words and actions.
- Positive participation in the community and in the democratic process.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity; values diversity.
- Works collaboratively.
- Makes healthy lifestyle choices.
- Values and deals successfully with change.
- ARTISTIC EXPRESSION - Students will experience the visual and performing arts, and learn to express themselves through the various art forms.
- Participates in visual and performing arts.
- Understands the relationship between the arts and the cultures of different peoples.
- Appreciates beauty and talent.
- Attends and appreciates performances by other children and professionals.